These history pages are a collection of stories about the Singer Band
compiled from a variety of sources, including items from personal
collections, books and newspapers.
We are researching a more complete and accurate history of the band and
hope to publish it soon.
The historic Singer Band of
Mechanicsburg is the modern-day
extension of a
band formed sometime in 1854 or 1855. Known as the Keystone Cornet
the group changed its name to the Seventh Pennsylvania Voluntary
Infantry Band, led by Harry Greaves, when the members joined
the service during the Civil War.
Keystone Cornet Band was one of the earliest musical organizations
in central Pennsylvania, and it performed at all public festivities.
The Keystone Cornet Band became The Singer Band in 1862,
named for David S. Singer, a cornetist of the time, and enjoyed an excellent reputation for at least
three-quarters of a century. There are a few references to the band at
years earlier using the name of the Silver Cornet Band, though the
historical connection to The Singer Band cannot be established with
1 | 2
| 3 |